Friday, May 27, 2011

Yardsticks versus T squares

Yesterday I added a matt board "point" to a T-square, thinking it would work as a "sword" for our upcoming condensed version of Romeo and Juliet.

My class came in, and I grabbed the student who is furthest along with his art projects - he's also our school chess champion, and is one of those kids who is into karate movies, fantasy worlds, all of that.

I explained that he and I would need to test my T-square sword - so I gave it to him, grabbed a yardstick, and we proceeded to have a test battle, knocking our "swords" together and advancing and parrying and who knows what else.

I ended up with a T-square along my neck, so I declared that my head was cut off and that round was over. We then both used yardsticks, and agreed that the grip was much better and that the T-square was difficult to hold. We joined a T-square plus a yardstick, with a matt board point, to make our basic sword forms. These are all taped together, and later on we'll cover them with foil.

So - as if the student and me sword fighting hadn't been bizarre enough - the entire class just came in, looked at us, got their work out, and began working on their flags, T shirts, etc. I couldn't believe it - not one comment, not one student asking to join in, nada, nothing, zip, zilch.

I can't decide if they are used to my craziness, or if they were overwhelmed, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers