Friday, May 27, 2011

Encouraging students to read

I have a few students who love to read, so they have chosen to take a summarized version of a play by Shakespeare, read it over the school break, write a short one-page summary, and bring it back in January.

The rest will do this in class in January. (This is only for my Advanced art group, all 8th graders.)

The conversation with one girl continued:

Me: "Alana, remember I said I'm going to Spain for the vacation?"

A: "Yeah......"

Me: "And it's a really really long plane trip, there and back."

A: "So you're going to read Shakespeare?"

Me: "No, I bought a book just for the flight. And if I have room in my luggage to bring the book back, I'll give it to you when we return to school."

A: "Oh, thank you!"

Me: "Would you like to know what book it is?"

A: (sharp intake of breath, in a whisper and a hopeful expression) "Deathly Hallows?????"

Me: (smiling) "Yes!"

A: "Oh, I can't WAIT!!!!!!"


I think I made her day! Although now, the two-week break will draaaaaaaaaaaag on forever while she waits for the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers