Friday, May 27, 2011

Weapons day in my class

My first class LOVED the weapons my friend brought - he showed a big sword one needs two hands to use, a modified broad sword (the kind used in medieval times), a rapier similar to what was used during the Renaissance (lighter, one-handed sword), and various short swords, knives, daggers, and things with different names (a kriss, for example).

The kids had a great time - my first class (Advanced art) had a ton of questions, wanted to hold each and every sword, a few kids went into corners of the room to pretend they were fighting (I figured if they were smart enough to move far away from everyone, they could swing it once or twice), and my fave - they took cell phone photos of each other holding the different swords. They were SO into it!!!!! And they all agreed that this was one of the BEST guest speakers they've ever had in their entire lives!

Second class was just bored - they were polite, they sat quietly, but they didn't want to touch anything, they didn't have questions, they were like lumps on the chairs. Boring! Oh well, at least they applauded - and the two boys who thought it was cool helped carry everything back to the car, and I think they probably had questions at that point. (They were kind of cute, when I asked for assistants they ran up and said, ME ME ME!)

Third class was normal - my friend had to go back to work.

Anyway, it was a good morning!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers