Friday, May 27, 2011

Am I a mean teacher?

My third class of the day is full of the kind of teen age boy who makes adults cringe. Rude, crude, loud, and know-it-alls. They make the class not fun, for anyone. A few have settled down and will work - but a few just insist on bothering everyone else.

One boy in particular is convinced that he's smarter than anyone else - and he has learned to act stupid, so that no one will expect anything of him. He thinks he has everyone fooled. Then he'll do something to bother someone, and claim it wasn't him. Eyes all big, feigning innocence. Over and over again.

Today, I got him to paint a bit on the coral reef mural. Then he got up and managed to get green paint in someone's hair. This was ready to turn into a huge problem - all the boys jumped up and were ready to see a fight - but I made paint guy get a wet cloth and clean the other guy's head.

However, other guy was sneaky - and he got a finger in red paint and got it into paint guy's hair. I figured paint guy deserved it. So while the other boys started howling with laughter, I told them to shush so no one would tip off paint guy, and he'd walk around all day with paint in his hair. They giggled and agreed and got quiet and back to work. Paint guy cleaned up other guy. Everyone went back to work, with the occasional giggle.

At the end of class, I kept in other guy and his crew - and told him that next time he does that, he's in trouble. But that I thought paint guy deserved to go around with paint in his hair - just that next time, tell me first and we'll give paint guy a zero, or send him to the office, or something other than retaliating with paint in his hair. Okay? Okay, he was satisfied with that.

So - I feel kind of mean - but paint guy so totally deserved this punishment! (Maybe I just think like an 8th grader, LOL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers