Friday, May 27, 2011

The things teachers have to worry about

Okay, so I'm working on a big project with my students - we're learning about medieval and Renaissance art (and literature and history) through heraldry, pageantry, and comparing all of this to our local Carnival. We will have a culminating event (a parade and a race) right before Carnival - students will hang their groups' banners, wear coordinating T shirts, have "histories" of their groups, and will also have flags to wave around. My principal wants this to be a presentation/event for the entire school, but I need to talk to my classes before I agree to that.

Plus my advanced art class will perform a (very) condensed version of Romeo and Juliet at the territorial Shakespeare Festival.

So - all of this is to say that there is a need to study medieval and Renaissance weaponry. Especially for Romeo and Juliet. And I have a friend who has travelled the world, and he collects weapons and various artifacts on his travels. (His wife collects fabric and jewelry - they have some truly incredible pieces.) So I asked my friend if he could come talk to my classes about weapons, especially swords - and bring some examples to show the students. We set a time and date, I explained how to find my class - and he said "Now this is okay, right, me bringing weapons to school?" I know my principal, and I assured the friend that this was okay. THEN I raced up to Mr Principal and explained our project, the situation, what I wanted from my "guest speaker" and finished with "so it IS okay to bring the weapons to school for this, right?" He laughed and assured me that this was okay.

Whew! It didn't occur to me that it might NOT be okay, til the friend asked!!!! I mean, we're talking antique swords here - I can't imagine the school police picking him up for possible assault or anything! But now I have a verbal okay, so there shouldn't be any problem.

My kids are going to be beyond thrilled!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers