Friday, May 27, 2011

Another mural emergency

I seem to be collecting mural emergencies and mishaps. 

I got to my classroom, students came in, I checked with each one re what they are doing (advanced art so a lot of independent work), I helped a few select images from the internet to help them in their project.

I came out of my office and noticed that the coral reef mural boards were gone - the back of the room looked open and empty and I could see the wall and reach the cupboards!  I said something, and the kids said yes, the mural was up by the gate - so we all put down our projects and went up to the gate, all excited.  Turns out the maintenance guy put it on the INSIDE of the fence, so the chainlink and the posts blocked part of the design.  Plus we had numbered the back of each plywood panel, and he had put them up according to the numbers left to right.  But he didn't look at the image - we numbered the panels when they were in sequence from the front (meaning the numbers were in reverse sequence on the back).  So our image was not only backwards, it didn't line up.

The students and I walked back to the office and discussed this with Mr. Principal.  He said Mr. Maintenance Guy was worried that people would steal the plywood, that's why he put it on the inside of the fence.  I said another school was using padlocks to keep the plywood in place, and he said he'd get some.  Then, while all 12 of us were packed into the principal's office, he went ahead and called Mr. Maintenance Guy and explained all of the issues - it will be taken care of by tomorrow, when the newspaper and TV reporters come for interviews and photos with the kids.  Two assistant principals and one teacher came by, took one look at all of us, and assumed I had a discipline problem.  I told them we were having a mural emergency, and were dealing with that - they were nice and waited in the hall.

I'll report back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers